A grouping in Master Calendar is collection of one or more calendars typically used to distinguish one group of related calendars from another, or for identification purposes. For example, for a university calendar system, you might have a grouping for student union events, another grouping for athletic events, another grouping for invited speaker events, and so on.
Calendar groupings are displayed on the Groupings page. The Groupings page has an Active tab and Not Used tab. All currently active groupings in Master Calendar, which are groupings to which at least one calendar has been added, are displayed on the Active tab. All groupings that do not have at least one calendar added are displayed on the Not Used tab. By default, groupings are initially displayed on both tabs on the Groupings page in alphabetical order by grouping name, regardless of a grouping’s sequence.
You can view calendars in a single grouping or from multiple groupings together. If appropriate, you can add an event to multiple calendars in multiple groupings. This topic guides you in creating new groupings and working with existing ones.
Creating a New Calendar Grouping
Concept: When you create a new Calendar Grouping, first you define it, then you associate it with a calendar group. This then activates the grouping. If you do not associate your grouping with a calendar group, it will show in the Not Used tab shown below.
The Groupings page opens on the Active tab, which lists all the calendar groupings in use in Master Calendar.
2. Under Actions, click Add. A blank Details tab opens, where you can name and describe the new calendar grouping.
3. Enter information and then click Save. The grouping is added as an inactive item to the Master Calendar and appears on the Not Used tab on the Groupings page. The grouping is not displayed on the Active tab on the Groupings page until you add at least one calendar to it. Until you change the default order of the groupings, the sequence for every grouping is zero.
Ordering Calendar Groupings
By default, groupings are initially displayed on both tabs on the Groupings page in alphabetical order by grouping name, regardless of a grouping’s sequence. This is how calendar groupings display in dropdown lists to users. You have two options for changing the order of the groupings:
• To change the order of groupings on the Groupings page, you can click the Name column header to sort the groupings by reverse alphabetical order by grouping name. (Click the Name column header again to return the sort to alphabetical order.)
• To change the order of the groupings on the Master Calendar default page and on the various Calendar pages, you can doing the following:
1. From Step 1 above, under Actions, click Order. A list of all groupings (Active and Not Used) opens.
3. Select a grouping, and then click Move Up ++ or Move Down -- to move the grouping to a new position.
4. Click Update Grouping Order.
5. Click OK. The next time that you open the Groupings page, the updated sequence for all groupings on both tabs is displayed. You can now click the Sequence column header to sort the groupings by ascending sequence number, or you can click the Sequence column header again to sort the groupings by descending sequence number.
Working With an Existing Grouping
1. From Step 1 above on the Active or Not Used tab, select the calendar grouping you want to work with and under Actions, click Edit.
The Details tab opens, where you can change basic information and view history (on the History tab) for the grouping.
5. Edit the grouping name, the grouping description, or both, as needed.
Tip: You can delete Calendar Groupings from the Not Used tab; select the item(s) and then click Delete.
6. Click Save to save the edited grouping in Master Calendar.