After you publish a term, there are times when you need to identify which rooms are available for a particular meeting pattern and set of criteria. For example, an academic unit might need to add a new section for a course or an instructor might be looking to change the times for a course. The Search for Rooms tool significantly simplifies the process of searching for classrooms in these situations.
To search for rooms using the Search for Rooms tool
1. On the EMS Campus menu bar, click Academic Planning > Courses > Search For Rooms. The Search For Rooms dialog box opens.
2. On the Domain dropdown list, select the appropriate domain and on the Term dropdown list, select the appropriate term.
3. Do one of the following:
• Manually enter the meeting pattern information (start and end dates, start and end times, and meeting days) for the course.
• Click Time Blocks to open the Time Blocks dialog box, and then select a time block from a list of time blocks that have been made available for the term.
4. Enter your search criteria.
The default value is (no preference). You can select a specific building, area, or view.
The default value is (no preference), but you can select from a list of pre-configured types.
Ignore Room Capacity
Available only if Ignore Room Capacity is not selected. You can enter a specific room capacity by which to search.
Ignore Term Excluded Dates
Not selected by default. Select this option to search for rooms that are available even on dates that have been marked as “Excluded” for the term.
5. In the Available list, select the feature, or CTRL-click to select the multiple features that the rooms are to have, and then click the Move button (>) to move the selected features to the Selected list.
6. Click Next. The Search for Rooms dialog box opens with up to three tabs displayed:
• Available Rooms tab. By default, the Available tab is always displayed and it is always the active tab.This tab displays all the rooms that meet all your search criteria.
• Academic Conflicts tab. The Academic Conflicts tab is displayed only if there are rooms that meet all your search criteria but they are in academic conflict (a course has already been scheduled in a room for the selected day and time pattern). Optionally, you can open the Academic Conflicts tab to view the list of rooms that are in academic conflict.
• Event Conflicts tab. The Event Conflicts tab is displayed only if there are rooms that meet all your search criteria but they are in event conflict (a non-academic event has already been scheduled in a room for the selected day and time pattern). Optionally, you can open the Event Conflicts tab to view the list of rooms that are in event conflict.
7. Optionally, you can do one or more or all of the following on this tab:
• Use the Scroll feature to scroll the list of available rooms, and then click Close to close the dialog box.
• Click Previous to return to the Search For Rooms dialog box, modify your search criteria, and repeat the search.
• Click Print to open an onscreen preview of the list of available rooms. The preview window contains options for printing a hard copy of the room list, emailing the list, and so on.